Sunday, November 11, 2012

291/366
I've been wanting to sign Az up for an activity with kids her age. I guess her brother's struggles in the land of social skills has me worried about her struggling socially too. She doesn't go to daycare and I don't have friends with kids her age (or kids, period) so she doesn't get as much opportunity to hang out with kids her age as I'd like.

After watching her brother play soccer each week Az decided that she wanted to play too. Unlike Z's program hers is decidedly not free but Miguel and I decided to scrape together the money anyhow because it seemed a waste to have finally found a program that seems good for her and then not put her in it. Considering this was her first experience in a class setting and following directions given by someone other than Mom, Dad, or Grandmama I think she did really well. She was too shy to participate in all of the activities but she did most of them. She certainly loved the actual soccer aspect of the class, it was the times she was asked to sit on a plastic square for circle time that she was unsure of.

I decided to put Az in the class for kids 18 months to 2 years old, partially because I misunderstood the way the classes were divided (I thought this meant that the class was for kids who were anywhere from 18 months old to under 3 years old, not that it was for kids 18 month to just under 2 years old as it actually is intended) and partially because I thought it might be a better fit since she would be with kids who were not as used to following directions too. I'm not really sure if I made the right decision. The kids really are a lot younger than her, and the class moves in the disjointed style that would appeal to an 18 month old. As soon as Az gets into something it's time to move on. On the other hand, the younger kids are doing things like popping bubbles and playing with parachutes. Az learned today that she absolutely adores parachutes. I'm not sure if I'll keep Az in the younger class or move her up but I figure either way she's getting new experiences around new people. And maybe she's even discovering a new life-long interest (soccer, not parachutes. Though I still think parachutes are pretty cool.)

No comments:

Post a Comment