Sunday, June 17, 2012

151/366

In celebration of Z's last day of fifth grade we brought a picnic to Steelhead Beach after school. Az had a blast playing with her dad in the water, but she showed a particular interest in the woman in the background of this photo. She kept trying to hold the woman's hand and wanted her to follow her around. This is unusual behavior for Az so I was trying to figure out why she was so interested in the woman. The woman appeared to be in her early thirties and was with a boy of about five years old, whom was not at all amused by the amount of attention Az was paying to his mother. When I commented to Miguel that Az must find something familiar about the lady he told me that she was calling her "Grandma." The woman was very gracious with Az and let her lead her around. She didn't seem as offended as some women in their thirties might have been by being called "Grandma." She didn't look anything like either Miguel's or my moms and was much closer to my age than either of them, so I'm not sure what it was about the woman that reminded Az of a grandma. Maybe she thinks all women with some color on them are called Grandma. If so, I hope the next "Grandma" is as kind as understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment